It feels like a lot has happened in the last week or so since my last entry. Last Thursday I began my third class, Advanced Spanish at the same campus as my other two courses. My professor seems fun, knowledgeable, and very interested in American culture even though he has never been there himself. It promises to be a challenging course but also very rewarding for me in order to improve ‘mi español’ (my spanish!) (: Thursday night I went out on the town with some girls in my program. We arrived at what we heard was a great place to hang out and meet locals, called Alfalfa street. We got there around eleven thirty p.m. and the area was pretty much dead. An hour or two later, the complete opposite! The streets were packed with people, socializing and speaking in lots of different languages (Spain, specifically Sevilla, attracts a lot of tourists from all over Europe, ergo many languages that I will never understand!). I enjoyed meeting lots of new people and seeing firsthand how alive and vibrant the streets of Sevilla are at night.
The next day I returned to my family’s house for a quick weekend trip “a la playa!” (to the beach!) We all greatly welcomed the cool breeze and extreme drop in temperature that we experienced once arriving in El Portil as compared to the 100 plus days here in Sevilla. Saturday Mary and Ubaldo my great(in more way than one :) ) aunt and uncle, and Mary’s sister Dory and her husband Fali joined us for a day on the boat, cruising through the Atlantic ocean. (We of course had to stop for a while and look for those darn coquinas again!!) Saturday night Mary and Ubaldo drove me into a neighboring town to have dinner. On our way to the restaurant we stopped and watched a Flamenco show in the middle of a mall - quite a sight! In addition to the beautiful setting of the beach, and the comfort that comes from being with family, I also really enjoy the full spanish immersion that occurs when I am with them. They all speak very little English, and know I am here to improve my spanish; therefore I am forced to speak in spanish with them at all times. I don’t necessarily have the same experience here at my casa because my two housemates are not as comfortable with their spanish as I am. (I do however serve as primary translator among my two housemates and our senora Antonia, who doesn’t speak any english either!) We ate at a lot of great restaurants right on the beach, as well as a daily trip to “la heladeria” (the ice-cream parlor) which is out of this world good!
| Flamenco Show! |
After an early morning beach cruise Sunday, we packed up our things and headed back for Sevilla. Sunday night I was graciously invited to join the family in celebrating Fali’s birthday, at his house with homemade postres, tarta, y otra comida (pastries, cake, and other food!). Everything that I tried was absolutely delicious! I sat back and watched as the entire extended family socialized; what a special concept for EVERYONE in a family to be able to gather together for homemade food and celebration, despite it being a Sunday night, small space, and extreme heat! I continue each week to be awed by the family dynamics that exist here in Spain. Locals that I have spoken to find it hard to believe that my own family is spread out throughout the country, and that I go weeks, months, and even sometimes years without seeing some of them. Here, it is very common for children to live at home with their parents all throughout college, and often not move out until they are married. How would all of you parents reading this, like that? ( ;
Observations:
Monday I began my first full week of classes which is now half way done! I am really enjoying all of my classes and find them to be extremely interesting! My cultural values class has made me think a lot about what it means to be an American, and the stereotypes that come along with it. For example, we are one of the only cultures that grammatically considers it necessary to ‘capitalize the letter I’ when speaking of ourselves. We don’t have to capitalize ‘he, she, or we’; and in the spanish culture none of these pronouns are capitalized. We are certainly viewed as a more selfish and possessive country by people here.Media imagery has certainly portrayed a somewhat negative view of Americans, that leaves many Europeans to believe that we are all like what they see in the movies. (A friend of mine was talking to a local and was asked if American girls were just like the movie American Pie! ) Not exactly how I want to be represented... (Don’t get me wrong however... I LOVE being American and am very proud to be! I will also absolutely be returning to my beautiful home on Dec. 21st no matter how great my experiences here are! Just some food for thought!)
When it finally cooled down on Tues. evening (last night) I decided to go for a quick walk/jog around my neighborhood to clear my head. I ended up getting EXTREMELY lost and as it got darker and darker I became more and more worried. I stupidly didn’t take a cell phone with me, and dinner with my Senora was quickly approaching. The panic that I was experiencing forced me to go up to many strangers and do the best I could to communicate and ask for directions. EVERY single person that I asked for help (and believe me, there were many!) kindly helped me and knew the general area where my casa is located. I think it was probably quite clear to many of them that a. I was very lost b. very scared and c. an American (it probably didn’t help that I was wearing my I <3 NY shirt..haha!). Regardless of whether they were a bartender or customer at a store, each one took me outside and made sure I headed in the correct direction. Finally I found my way home safe and sound thanks to each one of them!This kindness is something I will not very get and will do my best to spread to another lost soul.
I think over the past three weeks the things that have stood out to me the most are 1. the difference of culture (embodying many things!) 2. the importance of family, and 3. the concept of time. I know in my previous blog I discussed the importance of the “siesta”, daily nap time here, (which is still too much down time for me!) but I continue to be in awe of the use of time here in Spain. A quote from one of my professors a week ago has really stuck with me. Jesús (not Jesus ;) ) said “In America, many of your parents or people you know live to work...here in Spain, we ONLY work to live.” With a work schedule that many Americans would die to have (8-3), and the nightly reuniting with friends/family at a bar for a drink, it is very evident that Spaniards do work to live and not the reverse. As I have said and I will continue to say to myself for the next three months, it is truly my belief that none of the differences I see are good, bad, better, or worse...they are simply differences...cultural differences that help to form two very unique and distinct lifestyles. I still have a lot to observe and learn fortunately!
On to my next adventure! I have one more class for the week tomorrow from 9:15-10:45( I know, I know..rough life), and then I will try to do some more exploring! (I promise to try to not get lost this time!) Then on Fri. I have an orientation at the University of Sevilla for my fourth class beginning next week. Friday night as a program activity I will be heading to a bullfight (VERY nervous about this, but I have to at least try to go.....right??) with the rest of the students in my program. Then on Saturday morning I’m off to Portimao Portugal!!!
Next entry I promise to update on my upcoming weekend events! (I promise not to post photos from the bullfight! That is if I make it....)
As always thanks for reading!!!
Catie
oh and p.s.....
| YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO SEE ON THE STREETS OF SEVILLA HAHA!!! Just had to share! |
No comments:
Post a Comment