Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Week 5

Angela y Tita Catie ( :


It has been a relatively calm week here in sunny Sevilla! I left off with a miserable rainy day last Thur. and now write to you from a once again high-heat Wed.. Thursday afternoon I headed to my family’s house for the long weekend (I never have classes on Friday’s here which is such a treat!). The weather continued to be pretty crummy on Friday and Saturday so we were not able to go to the beach. I spent part of Friday helping my aunt, Mary, clean out the fourth floor apartment of her deceased parents, because a new renter was coming in on Monday. It was a very interesting experience to be a part of a something like this, where so many memories are obviously involved. It made me very grateful for all of the people I have in my life and all the great memories I have had in the last twenty years! (I am also very grateful to live in a house, with a door, a yard, and no need to use an elevator when moving out!) Saturday I spent the day with Mary & Ubaldo’s daughter, Chary, and her family! Of all of my fabulous family here in Sevilla, I have known Chary the longest. She came and visited the U.S. several times when I was quite young and I have the fondest memories of playing “Pretty, Pretty, Princess” with her...(neither one of us really understood each other, but we certainly had fun!) Anyway, Chary is all grown up now ( ;  and has a family of her own, husband Pitu and three adorable kids under the age of 6..aye aye aye!! I spent Saturday with them and we had a ball! It certainly made me miss all my little “peeps” in KC that I babysit! (But man.. they have energia para dias!!! (energy for days!)) Their oldest son, Alejandro is learning English in school, along with French, (very common here for children to be at least bilingual), and so its fun quizzing each other on our other languages! I also love being “Tita Catie!” (little aunt Catie: ) ) 
Los ninos - Alejandro y Angela

Sunday was an absolutely spectacular day weather wise! Ubaldo, Mary, & I headed out for a stroll in the early afternoon in the pursuit of tapas! (For those of you who don’t know, Spain is famous for their tapas bars that are EVERYWHERE!). We settled down at a local place and enjoyed plate after plate of delicious authentic food...KC could really use a place like this! Sunday evening I headed to my cousin Alex’s house in the countryside, just outside Sevilla. This was my first “home” that I have seen in the nearly 6 weeks I have been here. It was also fun to get out of the city and see another part of beautiful Sevilla! My aunt Mary’s brother lives very close to my cousin so we stopped there as well. It was a great weekend filled with family and fun!
View on my walk to USS complete with palm trees!
I have news for you.. it really doesn’t matter what country, state, or city you’re in.. Monday’s are never very fun! I finally about a month in got a lot more homework assigned, resulting in less and less free time. However, my classes and professors continue to interest me, and I am here to learn..not just vacation..(at least that’s what my parents’ hope!) As I have mentioned before, I am taking classes at two different campuses; one run solely for students in my specific program and one at the University of Seville. (quick back story! When I was applying to be a part of this program last Spring, my initial petition was declined by Wooster because they were concerned about me being on two separate campuses, blah, blah, blah.. I continued to pursue this program because after months of research and careful planning, I knew THIS was what I wanted! Turns out the University of Seville or USS, is even closer to my house and only 10 minutes from my other campus!) I really love being able to take a class in this historic and beautiful old building, in the heart of the city.   I also feel more like a local than simply a foreign exchange student by attending class with other local Sevillanos! My class on Tues. ended thirty minutes early just so our professor could personally walk us to his favorite “Montadito” (sandwich) shop! (Don’t think this happens too often in U.S.??)It was a very fun impromptu field trip and a great way to get to know my professor better, as well as the best places in town from locals! 
The highlight of my week was without a doubt, last night! Because of our little nearly ship-wreck adventure in Portugal last week, we were told that we would be reimbursed with a trip to “Los Banos Arabes” (the Arab baths) here in Seville. We met our program director at our school and walked all together to the site of the Arab baths. Once we arrived we were asked to take off our shoes and sit down. We were then served delicious hot tea and pastries. After we finished our little treats, we headed to change into our swimsuits and were asked to put on “water-shoe” like booties that were to remain on for the remainder of our visit. We were then escorted to a dual-level spa-like paradise complete with salt-water baths, pools of all temperatures, sauna, dark lights, music, and candles. (It looked like where celebrities retreat to in the magazines and movies!) We were then allowed to go around to any of the treatments we wanted for two hours.. it was definitely the most relaxed I have been so far in Spain! I feel so fortunate to have been able to experience that and would love to go back some day before I leave! (depending on how penniless I leave here in Dec.!:)) 
A sneak peak into "Los Banos Arabes"! I am in the middle (:
All in all, it was a pretty good week. I continue to work on my Spanish and try to take every opportunity possible to immerse myself with locals, rather than my American peers. Tomorrow I begin my volunteer internship at a local private school where I will be teaching students about different cultures, while instructing them in English to enhance their vocabulary sets. I am very much looking forward to this! Friday, as a group, we will be traveling to Jerez and Cadiz for the day, which is known for having some of the most beautiful beaches in all of the world! Can’t wait, crossing my fingers for great weather!! Not a day goes by where I don’t feel some sense of longing for home or for what is familiar; but not a day goes by where I tell myself I am loca!!! (crazy) and need to realize where I am and what an amazing opportunity I have been given! On that note, I will stop procrastinating on my homework and get to it! 

Thanks for reading!!

Con Amor,

Catie

No comments:

Post a Comment