Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Dream Made Reality

A Dream Made Reality
Un Sueno Hecho Realidad

It feels like just yesterday I was in my friend's room trying to come up with the name for a blog fitting of my upcoming experience. I cannot believe how fast the last four months have gone..It is with a very heavy heart that I sit down to write what will be my very last blog entry from Sevilla. As well, unfortunately, probably my last one ever because somehow I don't believe the happenings of my life in Wooster Ohio will compare to my time taking on Europe. I arrived here nearly four months ago with a few too many suitcases, an intermediate Spanish level, and what I would like to believe was an open attitude for what new adventures might come my way. Little did I know that I would be leaving with an advanced Spanish level, new friends, memories to last a lifetime, and even heavier suitcases (well..let’s be honest, I knew that part!). This blog has served a great purpose during my time here and I am so happy that I kept up with it (unlike a lot of study abroaders I know who quit early on.) I feel a sense of joy each week when I prepare my thoughts just knowing that even one person cares enough to take time out of their life to see what I am doing. It has also served as a great source of reflection for me, making me even more grateful for each unique experience I have had. So for that, thank you my readers. Whether this is the first time you are reading, or you have been a loyal weekly vivalavidacatalina’er, regardless, it means more to me than I can express & I am so glad you could go along on this journey with me. With that, my reflections of the last week in this wonderful place. 
At the TeleSevilla (t.v. station)
Last Friday afternoon, as per our usual routine, Ubaldo kindly picked me up and I headed to spend my last weekend in Sevilla with my favorite Sevillians. After lunch and a little siesta time, Mary, Ubaldo & I headed to a famous Flamenco dress shop near the city center where Mary and her choir group would be performing. The store was especially opened longer for them and they provided food and drinks for all participants. The only way this Spanish choir singing in the Flamenco store eating jamon y queso (ham & cheese) and drinking cervezas (beer)could have gotten any more Spanish would be if there was a bull in the store! ha! I, not a singer of course, stood back and watched as the group sang beautiful music that have not become songs stuck in my head at times. After a few warm up songs in the store, the group headed to a local t.v. station to be recorded for a special that will be aired on Sevilla’s choir groups. It was very fun to be at the station and cute to see the “celebrities” (: perform! From the station we headed back to the store where there was more singing, dancing, eating & drinking (the usual!)


My favorite dish reading "We'll miss you"
Entire Familia
Saturday morning Mary and I ran some errands including the fresh grocery markets to buy that day’s lunch. This is certainly a concept I will miss when heading back home. I then spent some of the day studying for upcoming finals and papers. Around 5 a’clcok I asked if we could venture out into the city so I could do a little more shopping and just see all of the beautiful lights at night. Mary agreed but was very slow in her getting ready - not normal. I changed my clothes, put on some makeup, and stood with my jacket on and purse in hand. Just as I was getting frustrated with how long it was all taking, I heard “una sorpresa” from my little cousins walking in the door. I thought “oh that is so sweet! They have come to surprise Mary!”. Second later, Mary’s sister & family walk in the door & my cousin Chari all carrying plates of pastries and food. Little did I realize, they had planned a surprise going away party for me! Words can not express how touched I felt. Not only that everyone had taken time out of their very hectic lives but also that they all care about me so much that they felt the need to give me a special sendoff. Within the next 10 minutes everyone showed up making it a real fiesta! We sat around the table talking, eating, and enjoying each others company. They then had one of the little kids present me with a card and several presents. It was all too much and I knew that my “speech” could not possibly relay my gratitude for all they have all done for me in the last several months. Through broken Spanish and tears I managed to attempt to express myself and cheers to “no adios pero hasta luego” (not goodbye but until later.) I am one of the very few lucky people here in my program who has family or friends in the area; I know without a doubt that I will return one day and be lucky enough to have them all here waiting for me. I came here with a strong relationship with those of them who I had met, but am leaving with one that I never knew would be possible with people who speak a language other than my own. Although I know I could have ‘survived’ here without them, I without a doubt had opportunities and experiences that I never would have without them. I will forever be indebted for their kindness and generosity towards me and for taking me in as their “hija, hermana, prima, y nina.” Most importantly, the phrase said commonly here in Andalucia “mi alma.”(spirit of my heart).
Because I wasn’t emotional enough after goodbye hugs & kisses, I asked if we could actually go out and see the lights that I had wanted to before. Mary happily agreed and we set off on a drive through Triana and various other spots to see the Christmas lights so beautifully displayed throughout the city. We went for a long stroll and it was a great way to end a great day. 
Juanma
Sunday morning Chari picked me up and we went for a quick shopping trip as I had requested the day before. She dropped me off in time for lunch and some more studying. That evening I attended the final choir event in a small village around thirty minutes outside of Sevilla. It was yet again some very sad goodbyes, especially to my buddy ‘Juanma’ who couldn’t say my name from day one and instead called me “Jenniiiii”. Although at first I was very confused by this and frustrated, it grew to become a name of adoration that the whole group called me by and brought a huge smile to my face every time he called me by it. 
After the choir concert we returned back to Sevilla and I headed back for my last few days in my residencia with my roommates and Senora Antonia. Monday I had two exams and spent the afternoon walking around near my school, and enjoying the beautiful 70 degree day. Tuesday after classes were over, my roommate Jacelynn & I decided that we couldn’t waste one of our last days in Sevilla together sitting in our rooms. We headed to our favorite “tourist spot”, the park Maria Luisa and Plaza de Espana. We took some last minute photos and headed to some Christmas markets that were set up near the city center. 
Last time at Plaza de Espana


That evening after dinner I headed out for my final night on the town and had a great time meeting even more new Spaniards and passing my final time with my American friends. 
After class Wednesday I spent a lot of the day packing and doing some final shopping (too much of course!). As a farewell, my 3 roommates (one American and 2 Spaniards) and myself headed out to “tapear” (the verb for to go for tapas - that’s how important tapas are here!) at a small place called Las Columnas near my school. After dinner and a drink we walked around the town enjoying the Christmas lights and and city night-life one final time. Thursday, (today) I finished my final exam, said my goodbye to the amazing CEA staff, ran some final errands, and headed to my apartment for the final time. This of course was the hardest goodbye I have done thus far, until tomorrow when I have to bid farewell to the family. I formed an amazing relationship with my housemates and I will miss them all greatly. Around 4pm Mary picked me up and we headed back to her house to do some final rearranging of mis maletas (suitcases). 
Add caption
My flight leaves tomorrow from Sevilla to Madrid at 6:40 a.m.. I then go from Madrid to Dallas and Dallas to KC. A total of 24 hour travel time from door to door. Although I am dreading every aspect of the goodbyes & long travel, I know that none of the amazing experiences  I have had here in the last four months would be remotely possible without it. I feel so lucky to have had the experience to be a part of a new culture that embraced me and for which I immersed. I have learned so much about culture (both Spanish and my own), myself, and life in general. I don’t think that it was a coincidence that I walked by a club each and every day to arrive at school that reads “un sueno hecho realidad.” This can be translated as “a dream made reality.” As I have said before, I had to work quite hard to be here for these months. Not only to study abroad (which I started planning for first semester my freshman year to fit my schedule as a double major) but also to be in Sevilla. I think the fight only made me appreciate it all even more. 
More than the famous cathedral or Giralda, my favorite  emblem of the beautiful city is something that is represented all over the city in miscellaneous places. It is the symbol of NO∞DO.  NO∞DO was started by King Alfonso X who was praising the city of Sevilla for remaining so loyal to him during his war against Son Sancho. He said this phrase because the skein in the middle translates as “madeja” if you put it all together, it is close to “no-madeja-do”; very close to the sound of “no me ha dejado” reading you never left me. It is WITHOUT a doubt that the people, city, and memories I have this place will never leave my mind. Sevilla, nunca me ha dejado. Sevilla never disappointed me or left me alone. I will forever be grateful to  to my family here in Spain for looking after me, to all the wonderful Spaniards (& Americans) I have met, to my school system for starting me in Spanish at an early age, and of course most importantly to my parents for supporting me and encouraging me  to push myself, go outside my comfort zone, and study abroad. If you had asked me four months ago how I would feel as this moment, I would have undoubtedly said “overjoyed” to go home; in reality, nothing could be farther from the truth. While I am happy to see friends & family again, I have developed something pretty special here that is not easy to simply leave. I am however very happy to be home for what I believe will be a white Christmas in KC & to get back in touch with everyone. This has been a life changing experience for me in some ways that I can recognize and others that are still to be determined. I know that I will return one day soon, but until then, muchas gracias por todo Sevilla! Hasta luego! 

Signing off from Sevilla. 
As always, thanks for reading! 

Con Amor,
Catalina






No comments:

Post a Comment