Thursday, December 13, 2012






Mary & I atop "la ceta"
It has been far too long since I have written last (around 2 weeks!). With exactly a week remaining in this journey for me I figured it was time that I document the last few to continue with my weekly upkeep! Two weeks ago I spent Saturday and Sunday with Ubaldo and Mary. Saturday Mary and I had a “girl’s day” of shopping and exploring some of the city center that I had not visited. We also climbed “la ceta” (the mushroom), the most recent architectural addition to the city of Seville. (It happens to be a controversial addition because it is SO modern and different from the rest of the city, but I quite enjoyed it!) From the top you can see great views of the whole city and below it are ancient Roman ruins that we checked out as well. We had a really great day together! Sunday after Ubaldo and Mary attended mass they came back to collect me and I headed to their “choir practice” (which includes about 30 minutes of singing and 2 hours of eating and socializing!) This specific group of people are so welcoming and so fun for me to be around! Needless to say it was a great afternoon with way too much food. That afternoon however, I started to come down with a cold and major tooth ache, a first since my time in Sevilla. Although I was not feeling myself at all, we headed to Chari’s house to see the kids dressed up as Mary, Joseph, & baby Jesus for their upcoming Christmas card - it was too cute for me not to share! 
Sunday evening I continued to get more sick and ended up missing class on Monday and Tuesday. Mary insisted that I stay with them so she could look after me and she was of course an excellent nurse! Wednesday-Friday marked our last vacation for “la puente” similar to a constitution day for Spain, and I was to head to London. Although very unsure whether I should go or not considering my less than ideal state of health, my antibiotics and I boarded to the plane to Stansted airport at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday evening. Due to a two hour delay, I didn’t arrive until around 3 a.m. and caught a taxi to the hotel where I would be staying just for one night. The hotel within itself could be an entire blog entry, ha! I arrived in the freezing cold via taxi (it had snowed that morning) to a locked hotel and no receptionist. I ended up going down to the bar, banging on the window and a guest came and let me in. After checking in, I asked how to connect to the advertised wifi to be ‘the responsible traveler that I am :)’ and let my parents and Spanish family know that I had safely arrived in one piece; the receptionists answer was unlike anything heard in the U.S. - “Well if you sit over there on the left side of the red couch you should be able to pick it up.” After shooting out a quick message I headed to my room, keeping in mind that I am sick and it’s nearly 4a.m. I arrived to the door of my room and despite a stuffed nose could still smell something mold-like. I opened the door to find an open window, freezing room, and definite leak of some kind. I thought about just crashing but had also paid good money to be staying there & figured I should continue to “grow” and stand up for myself and ask for a new room. The receptionist said she would happily walk me to the next room to assure that it was ok; she entered and said “oh this room isn’t right either, the bed is not made properly.” I asked if the sheets were clean, she said “yes,” and I said I just want to go to sleep then. The next morning upon checkout, I was given a full refund and very happy about it! Lesson/Warning: if traveling to London do not stay at the Stansted Travelodge (: While in the lobby deciding what my next move would be, I noticed three men with suitcases sitting and waiting. I once again, decided to go out of my comfort zone and I asked if they were heading to the airport (thinking I could catch a train from there). They said, “no we are headed to the train station” and invited me to join them. Considering the large taxi payment I had made the night before, I happily agreed! In the car we started talking and they were very helpful with questions of directions and routes. Once we all boarded the same train, they asked me if I would like to join them for lunch. (Now, those of you who know me well, know that I am THE world’s biggest worrier and I take the most precaution possible. That is why this was so uncharacteristic of me, but I agreed!) I could tell that they were harmless and we were having a great time talking. We headed to an old pub right next to Liverpool Station and grabbed a delicious English lunch. They helped to show me to my train and stop and we exchanged email addresses to stay in touch. It was a much better impression of London than I had had with the hotel fiasco! 
Once off the train I found my hostel for the night and checked in. I booked a hostel on the same street as 3 girls from my program would be staying in in order to meet up later on. Hostels are great for the price and all, but don’t think I will be missing them next semester! Later that evening I met up with my friends and we went to dinner and walked around Oxford Circus (unbeknownst to us the most expensive area in London!). It was freezing cold but fun to see London all lit up at night and lively! The next day after eating breakfast at my hostel I had planned to go on a hop-on hop-off tour of the city. The company I chose included a two-day pass and a river cruise. I spent the day seeing the sights and happened to stop at Buckingham Palace just in time to see the “changing of the guards.” I was also lucky enough to see the most beautiful sunset as my tour ended over Big Ben and the London Eye. 

Changing of the Guards












Kaiti & I
 That evening I met my cousin Kaiti who is attending grad school there in order to head back to her place. After a brief mishap of two tube stations  with the same name ( : we met up and headed back to her apartment. She lives in zone 4 a little ways out, but is so perfectly located a one minute walk from the central tube line that going back and forth was easy! We had dinner in a Mexican restaurant as I had been craving something different from spanish food for several months! After catching up for several hours, we called it a night. The next morning I got to meet Kaiti’s boyfriend Patrick who was just as gracious of a host as she! I decided to head into the city for a few hours and look for last minute show tickets while they both had some school work to do.  I was in luck and got matinee tickets to Phantom of the Opera, the second longest running show in London! Although my seat wasn’t great, the actors voices (could hear and not so much see haha) were great! 
After the show I walked around for a few hours in Lecesiter square (The Times Square of London) and met up with Kaiti for dinner. We walked through Soho and Chinatown and settled at a delicious Italian restaurant. After dinner we walked through some Christmasy displays to see trees, lights, and everything hoiliday-esk that I have been missing! We happened upon street artists who sang and danced from Britain's Got Talent - a memorable experience.  We then walked towards Kaiti’s school and used some wifi in her library, followed by a hot chocolate and dessert run. 
Me & Giant Tree
The next day Kaiti and I headed to a first for both of us to something I had heard from a tour guide would be a great way to pass a Sunday afternoon - Camden markets! It was rows and rows of local vendors, food, clothing, and shopping! Because we don’t have anything like it in KC, I loved it! After a few hours of shopping we split ways, Kaiti headed to the library to get some work done and I headed to Leceister square again for some last minute souvenir shopping. I wandered into the National Gallery Museum free to all and enjoyed some art for an hour or so. Later that evening Kaiti, Patrick & I met up in Hyde Park in front of the Marble Arch to enter “Winter Wonderland.” This consisted of a huge winter carnival complete with food, rides, and more shopping. It was absolutely frigid but bared the cold for the rest of the evening enjoying the lights and atmosphere. We grabbed dinner in a recreation of “Oktoberfest”, complete with D.J., dancing, and of course bratwurst! It was a very fun way to end my trip!
Kaiti, Patrick, & I at Oktoberfest in Winter Wonderland
Kensington Gardens
Monday morning we said our goodbyes and I headed to one Kensington Palace to wlak around the gardens before my flight home. (It was quite unique rolling up with my suitcase and all - I was ready to say, “I’m moving in!”) Although I was desperately hoping to see William or Kate it sadly did not happen. I did see a lot of beautiful swans and gardens though!  (It was a unique time to be in London after the tragic suicide of Kate’s hospital nurse due to a prank phone call by two Australian D.J.’s pretending to be the Queen.) 
After my self-made tour was over, I grabbed a quick bite to eat and jumped on the tube (the scariest part of the beginning of my adventure grew to become one of my favorite parts of the city and one of my proud accomplishments for understanding how to use it alone!). I headed to the airport and had the fortunate experience to sit with the same two sweet Spaniards that I sat with on my way to London. Overall, it was a great trip and I am so glad that I went! Although I would not say that London is my absolute favorite city in the whole world, it has a lot to offer, is very culturally diverse, and come on, who wouldn’t love that accent?! ( :
Just our dessert platter yumm!
I was picked up at the airport by Mary and spent the late evening with them. Tuesday it was back to the real world of classes, homework, and studying! Tuesday night after some studying was done, two friends and myself walked around the line of Christmas vendors on asuncion, the street right next to where we all live. It finally feels festive in Sevilla! Last night, Wednesday we had our final CEA event - a farewell dinner reception held at a beautiful Italian restaurant. The food was delicious and it was nice to be all together one last time. 
Today, I had my final class (final exam as well!) at the University of Sevilla as it ends one week before my other classes. Today also marks two other very sad goodbyes; my favorite staff member at CEA, Aranoa, is nearly 9 months pregnant and was told she needed to stop working after today. Additionally, my closest friend in my program Amy, only took her classes at the University of Sevilla an therefore leaves this evening. All of these goodbyes are becoming far too real and making me realize just how close the final day is for me as well. Although I have 3 more finals, papers, and projects still remaining, I am determined to appreciate each day I have left here and soak up as much as I can. Solamente una semana mas! (Only one week left) aye aye aye!

As always, thanks for reading!

Con Amor,
Catie

No comments:

Post a Comment